Accelerator Beam PhysicistFull Time
Accelerator Beam Physicist
TRIUMF is Canada’s particle accelerator centre, and one of the world’s leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
To provide beam physics support and coordination for the development, commissioning and operation of the ARIEL high-intensity primary beamlines and the according driver beam accelerators. This includes the e-linac, the electron beamline, the 520 MeV cyclotron and the ARIEL proton beamline (BL4N). Furthermore, from an operational point of view, the incumbent is expected to become the reference physicist addressing issues related to these beam lines.
- Provide professional support to the group activities and to the operation of ARIEL primary and secondary beamlines as well as machine development of the driver accelerators.
- Lead projects to complete equipment readiness and prepare for equipment and beam commissioning.
- Present on scientific conferences and workshops and publish results in peer-reviewed articles.
- Supervise the final design stages, implementation and commissioning of the Machine Protection System in the ARIEL tunnel.
- Supervise the final design stages, implementation and commissioning of the ARIEL target protection systems.
- Supervise the final design stages and implementation of the e-beamline magnetic shielding system.
- Write required documentation including commissioning plans and training procedures.
- Lead the beam commissioning of these sections of beamlines and implement equipment commissioning and beam commissioning plans.
- Provide required training to Operators and lead the transfer of the operation of these systems to the Accelerator Operations department.
- Develop or improve beam optics models and implement high level applications for accelerator operation of TRIUMF’s e-linac, BL4N, and post accelerator for radioactive ions.
- Support the 520 MeV cyclotron machine development.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
The position requires:
- Expert knowledge of particle accelerators and beam dynamics, especially of linear accelerators, cyclotrons and high-power beam transport systems.
- A good knowledge of beam diagnostics, and machine protection systems for high-power beamlines.
- Experience in relevant beam dynamics simulation tools.
- Knowledge and understanding of accelerator hardware both for room temperature and superconducting structures.
- Familiarity with modern programming techniques and accelerator controls systems.
- Basic knowledge of nuclear physics.
- Strong oral and written communication skills for effective networking with internal and external professionals and teamwork
- Able to network with senior internal and external professionals in own area of expertise.
You will be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a PhD in accelerator physics or related experimental physics.
- Typically has 4-7 years of professional experience or equivalent in the field of accelerator physics.
This is a permanent position, located in Vancouver, BC Canada
Language of work: English
Salary range: $68,800 – $95,500 CAD per annum
Benefits: Vacation and flexible work schedules, sick days, Employer paid Medical, dental & Life Insurance, disability insurance, Retirement Pension Plan, Wellness plan, vision care, Employee Assistance Plan, Income replacement plan
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be given serious consideration, and in the case of equal qualifications, preference will be given to a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
As a requirement of this position, the successful candidate will need to provide acceptable proof that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or demonstrate that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the BC Human Rights Code. TRIUMF will grant reasonable accommodation requests up to the point of undue hardship.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity
Application closing date:
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.
4004 Wesbrook Mall