Cryogenic EngineerFull Time
TRIUMF is Canada’s particle accelerator centre, and one of the world’s leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
This position will support professional engineering activities in the Cryogenics Group in an experienced role for both routine and non-routine activities. Routine services include operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of the vacuum, cryogenic and refrigeration equipment. Non-routine work includes improvements, developments and assistance to new projects and facilities.
- Operation, MRO, refurbishing and improvements for cryogenics and refrigeration for the TRIUMF accelerator complex. This includes the driver accelerators, the 520 MeV cyclotron and the e-linac as well as ISAC-II linac.
- Design, build, commissioning, and implementation of cryogenics and refrigeration for new projects including design notes, specifications, schematic diagrams, etc.
- Specification, selection, pricing and procuring of major cryogenic and refrigeration equipment, receiving permits for installation and operation from Safety Authorities.
- Contributing to international collaborations by writing technical papers, preparing presentations, etc.
- Cryogenics and refrigeration R&D for new projects and programs, including UCN
Knowledge and Skills
The position requires:
- Extensive knowledge of cryogenic & refrigeration techniques and is able to apply them to straightforward troubleshooting and operational situations.
- Sound knowledge of technical thermodynamics and process engineering
- Mechanical and Controls engineering skills
- Excellent knowledge of and compliance to applicable safety regulations and a strong background in applying best practices in cryogenic safety
- Able to write clear test plans, design notes or conference papers in support of a small project with the supervision of a mentor
- Familiarity with commissioning, operation and maintenance procedures for nuclear and particle physics equipment, accelerator and industrial installations would enhance the effectiveness of the incumbent
- Thorough knowledge in area of expertise including tasks, processes and practises. Self-directed, able to prioritize, with good interpersonal skills.
NUCLEAR ENERGY WORKER (NEW):
You will be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
Minimal Qualification and Experience
- Requires a Graduate Degree in Engineering or Engineering Physics or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of experience in area of cryogenic engineering and/or operation, familiarity with process and instrumentation design.
- Eligibility to register as a P.Eng in British Columbia
This is a permanent position, located in Vancouver, BC Canada
Language of work: English
Salary range: $68,800 – $95,500 CAD per annum
Benefits: Vacation and flexible work schedules, sick days, Employer paid Medical, dental & Life Insurance, disability insurance, Retirement Pension Plan, Wellness plan, vision care, Employee Assistance Plan, Income replacement plan
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be given serious consideration, and in the case of equal qualifications, preference will be given to a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
As a requirement of this position, the successful candidate will need to provide acceptable proof that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or demonstrate that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the BC Human Rights Code. TRIUMF will grant reasonable accommodation requests up to the point of undue hardship.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity
Application closing date:
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.
4004 Wesbrook Mall