Radiation Detection System Developer (Fully On-site)Full Time
Radiation Detection System Developer (Fully On-site)
TRIUMF is Canada’s particle accelerator centre, and one of the world’s leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
TRIUMF’s student program typically hires ~40 students each term from across all disciplines who hang together socially and professionally during the term, and beyond. Our program offers young minds a chance to gather, learn, make new friends, and have fun doing so during their time at TRIUMF. We hold weekly ProD sessions for students which include different activities such as conflict resolution, emotional intelligence, critical thinking, and active listening. Additionally, we hold weekly seminars about the different experiments at TRIUMF, and these talks are catered to students specifically. Located on the UBC campus makes it easier for students to make friends, create memories, and explore Vancouver all while working at TRIUMF.
TRIUMF’s student program is more than just a place to work, its learning, memories, friendships, exploration, development all clubbed into one.
Discover Our Lab
The student will participate in the development of a custom alpha particle detection system for low-activity, small chemical and biological samples to measure labelling efficiency and the retention of radioisotopes in cell cultures.
The goal is to investigate analytical procedures using a silicon detector and a customized sample holder at very close proximity to enable low-level counting with sufficient energy resolution to distinguish isotopes in an alpha decay chain.
Scope of work:
The task of the student will be
- to help with the implementation of a new alpha particle detector setup and data acquisition hardware
- to develop suitable analytical procedures by preparing and analyzing a variety of test samples
Job activities and experiences include:
The student will
- learn about radiometric analytical methods, in particular alpha spectroscopy.
- learn to work with radioactive materials and radiation sources in the context of optimizing sample preparation procedures.
- acquire knowledge on radiation safety and the operation of a custom research apparatus.
- gain experience in teamwork, working in a research lab, management of small to medium-sized projects, interdisciplinary, international research environment, publishing and presenting research results
We are looking for motivated Chemistry or Physics student with an interested in analytical methods and radiometric detectors.
Experience in some of the following fields would be welcome:
- nuclear science, radiochemistry
- computational data analysis
- analytical chemistry
- electronics, data acquisition systems
NUCLEAR ENERGY WORKER:
The incumbent will be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
Chemistry, Computational Data Analysis, Data Acquisition Systems, Electronics Assembly, Nuclear Physics, Physics, Radiochemistry
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. Salary is commensurate with academic progress and previous relevant work experience.
TRIUMF offers help with travel costs for students outside the Vancouver and surrounding area.
Applications must have the following documents uploaded:
- A resume/CV
- A covering letter that includes your interest in and your qualifications for the specific position
- A copy of academic transcript (unofficial copies are accepted)
Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Applications closing date:
May 22, 2023
Period of Work (possible 4 month extension):
September 05, 2023-December 22, 2023
As a requirement of this position, the successful candidate will need to provide acceptable proof that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or demonstrate that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the BC Human Rights Code. TRIUMF will grant reasonable accommodation requests up to the point of undue hardship.
Salary is commensurate with academic progress and previous relevant work experience, and ranges from $ 2469 to $ 3266 per month including 4% vacation pay.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified undergraduate students as defined below:
- Canadian undergraduate students or Canadian Permanent Resident undergraduate students enrolled in an accredited post secondary institution in Canada (or outside Canada) who are studying in a vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate.
- Foreign full-time undergraduate students currently enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level, and who are studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration, and who have a valid Canadian study permit which allows for employment off-campus, and who have applied for a Social Insurance Number
- Foreign undergraduate students enrolled in a recognized undergraduate program of study abroad who have accepted, or are in the process of accepting, an “Invitation to Apply” for a work permit under the International Experience Canada (IEC) program http://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec/apply-work-permit.html.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all.
Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
4004 Wesbrook Mall